There are plenty of misconceptions surrounding destination weddings. And we don’t believe any of them and neither should you! Since destination weddings are becoming more popular, we wanted to debunk the myths that we have heard, and made us laugh, the most:
- No one will show up: The people who want to be there, will be there, regardless of where you choose to have your wedding. And, people are always looking for the perfect reason to take a vacation!
- Costs too much: Depending on where you decide to get married, a destination wedding can actually be less expensive than a wedding at home. Of course if you are looking to have an extravagant wedding, then it will be expensive no matter where you have it. There are a number of factors that will make your wedding more affordable, including size, favorable exchange rates, discount packages and much more. Some resorts even offer couples a free wedding!
- Responsible for entertaining your guests during their ENTIRE stay: It is typically recommended to have a welcome reception or cocktail hour and a farewell breakfast/brunch for your guests. Other than those two events, and the wedding, that is all you are responsible for! We recommend putting a welcome bag together with a list of activities and tourist attractions in the area, that way your guests can choose their own itinerary.
- Obligated to pay your guests’ travel expenses: There is no rule of etiquette that says you are responsible for paying for your guests to attend your wedding. If there is a guest or two that cannot afford to be there and you don’t want them to miss it, you are more than welcome to pay their way. Be careful, you don’t want others expecting you will do the same for them. Most resorts will offer discounted room rates for your guests, which will hopefully drive the cost down for some!
- Only for a few friends and family: The average number of guests at a destination wedding is around 40, however, keep in mind that the more people you invite, the more will come.
- Too complicated to get a marriage license: There are a few more steps involved when getting married in another country, however, the general procedure of obtaining a married license remains the same. Don’t fret! Our Travel Experts will guide you every step of the way. Or you can check out our blog ‘Having a Destination Wedding: License Requirements.’
- You cannot add your personal touch to it: Many, if not all, of the wedding packages that resorts offer, can be customized or upgraded. If for some reason a resort cannot meet one of your requests, they will put you in touch with a local vendor who may be able to.
- Too difficult to plan: Planning a wedding in another country, or even state, can be difficult. Thankfully our Travel Experts are here to help! Our Experts have personally visited each venue that we work with, so they know the ins and outs of each one. They also have great relationships with the wedding coordinators that work at each resort. Let our Experts take care of all the difficult stuff, while you enjoy being engaged!
- Beach, Beach, Beach: I know that when most people hear ‘destination wedding’ they automatically envision a toes-in-the-sand wedding. However, if having your wedding on a beach isn’t your dream, there are plenty of other locations to choose from! Vineyards, gardens, ballrooms, etc., the list goes on! Whatever your vision, we can make it a reality!
- Only for people who want to elope or those getting re-married: In the past, destination weddings seemed more appropriate for those looking to elope or encore marriages. Now, destination weddings are a popular choice for everyone, especially since the idea of minimizing cost and stress is very appealing.
If you are looking to have a destination wedding, contact one of our Experts today at 888.734.4787 or VenueExpert@everafter.com and start planning!
Featured Image by Melissa Mercado